University of California, Riverside

UCR Study Abroad -- Health

Health Clearance

If you are participating in Education Abroad, regardless of which program and insurance you carry, it is mandatory of ALL students to obtain a health clearance through the UCR Student Health Services. Please follow these guidelines.

CALL the UCR Student Health Services at (951) 827-3031 to make an appointment with the Travel Clinic. ALL education abroad students must see the UCR Student Health Services regardless if they have the University Student Health Insurance Program (USHIP) or not. Please make this appointment as early as possible! They only accommodate a few students a day and are often busy. Be prepared to provide them with the following information:

  • Indicate that you are an Education Abroad student
  • The program you are doing (UCEAP, UCR FLEAP, or OAP)
  • Your host country(ies)/travel destination(s)
  • Your program's start and end dates, or a rough estimate of your "travel itinerary" Note: This is NOT a form.

BEFORE your appointment, complete the online form at Please use your UCR netID to log in and complete the form prior to your appointment. After scheduling your appointment, please complete the following to prep for your visit:

  • If you are a UCEAP student, bring your UCR Selection Letter (print it out)
  • The Online Questionnaire found in the patient portal
  • The Student Immunization Form found in the patient portal, under the Forms section
  • Upload a copy of your immunization record, where indicated in the immunization form
  • Upload a copy of the Certificate of Completion of the Online Travel Course with the immunization record in the immunization form.

Failure to follow the above instructions will result in a rescheduled appointment and a late-cancellation fee of $20.

GO to your appointment. Your initial consultation, or health screening, will be with a registered Travel Clinic nurse. The cost is included for USHIP students and there will be an out-of-pocket cost for non-USHIP students. Please share with the travel nurse any allergies you had in the past, or digestive problems. Some students have discovered that “old” allergies or other health issues that are “under control,” may reappear when they live in a new environment. The nurse will either provide you with any new or updated immunizations at this point, or ask you to make another appointment. If you are a non-USHIP student, you can get your immunizations from your private doctor.

  • At this time, the travel nurse will also make you a second appointment to meet with the UCR Student Health Services physician for your required physical, which ALL students must receive at the UCR Student Health Services!

GO to your second appointment, which will be with the UCR Student Health Services physician. The cost is included for USHIP students; however, there will be an out-of-pocket cost for non-USHIP students. You cannot miss this appointment!

  • A finalized Health Clearance form will be completed for you, which the UCR Student Health Services will forward on your behalf to the appropriate education abroad program provider office (UCEAP, UCR Study Abroad Faculty-Led, or OAP office).

AFTER your appointments. Make copies of your documents and your new International Certificate of Vaccination Card and take them with you abroad, in case you need medical attention.

Students with Special Needs

  • If you have a disability or a chronic condition that requires special accommodations, please inform your Education Abroad Advisor at the UCR Education Abroad Office as soon as possible, so that the appropriate accommodations can be prepared for you in advance.

If You Want to See Your Own Doctor

  • You can get your immunizations and vaccines from your private doctor or primary care physician, as long as they meet the standards outlined by the UCR Travel Clinic nurse. Therefore, it is a requirement that ALL education abroad students make their initial consultation and health screening FIRST with the travel nurse at the UCR Student Health Services, regardless if they have the University Student Health Insurance Program (USHIP) or not. The travel nurse will then provide you with any necessary documents that you will take to your private doctor. Be sure to bring these documents back with you when you return for your second appointment to get your physical completed with the UCR Student Health Services physician.


More Information 

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

Contact Information

Education Abroad
0321 Surge Building

Tel: (951) 827-4113