University of California, Riverside

UCR Study Abroad -- Finances


UCR Study Abroad Programs ScholarshipApplying to many scholarships increases your chances of receiving funding. While each scholarship has its own level of competitiveness, all have the same goal of helping students to study or work abroad. We encourage you to read each website carefully for eligibility, application instructions, and deadlines. Note: Scholarship application deadlines for summer/fall/year-long programs tend to between January and March; scholarship deadlines for winter/spring programs tend to be between September and October. GOOD LUCK!

  • UCEAP Scholarships - UCEAP wants its participants to afford the tremendous opportunities of studying abroad. So it offers $700,000 each year in scholarships, which include:
  • Bridging Scholarships - Geared toward U.S. undergraduate students who study for one semester or an academic year in Japan, the US-Japan Bridging Foundation helps America’s young people to prepare for future global leadership roles. Awards up to $5,000 for the academic year.
  • Boren Awards - Representing a variety of academic backgrounds, Boren Scholarships for undergraduates and Boren Fellowships for graduate students support programs in underrepresented areas that are critical to U.S. interests. These include Africa, Asia, Central and Eastern Europe, Eurasia, Latin America, and the Middle East. They exclude Western Europe, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.
  • CHASS “At Home in the World” Student Award Fund - The award is designed to provide undergraduate students in CHASS the opportunity for meaningful international learning experiences that will inform their area of academic emphasis. Awards are made annually to support international travel and related expenses for undergraduate CHASS majors for academic study relevant to the major and/or a service learning opportunity. Individual award amounts will be determined based upon the length and complexity of the planned international experience, but may not exceed $5,000. DUE EARLY APRIL.
  • Critical Language Scholarship (CLS) Program - Offered by the U.S. government, the CLS Program offers intensive summer language institutes overseas in critical need foreign languages. Awarded with the expectation that they will apply their critical language skills in their future professional careers, CLS Program participants have studied Arabic, Azerbaijani, Bangla/Bengali, Chinese, Hindi, Indonesian, Japanese, Korean, Persian, Punjabi, Russian, Turkish and Urdu.
  • Deutscher Akademischer Austausch Dienst (DAAD) Scholarship - Supporting 50-60 U.S. and Canadian undergraduates each year, the DAAD Scholarship funds study, senior thesis research and internships in Germany from four to ten months.
  • Scholarships- has partnered with several organizations to offer study abroad scholarships and grants. In addition, hosts a directory of study abroad scholarship, grants, and fellowships.
  • Frederick Douglass Global Fellowship To increase access to study abroad by more students at minority serving institutions, CIEE will cover 100 percent of program fees and travel costs for 10 students from 10 different MSIs each year (2017-2019) to participate in a four-week summer study abroad program. To become a Frederick Douglass Global Fellow, students must be nominated and receive letters of recommendation from the president of their institutions. Due EARLY OCTOBERFor more information on the partnership between the Penn Center for Minority Serving Institutions and the Council on International Educational Exchange, please click here.
  • Freeman Asia Scholarship - Supporting American undergraduates who study overseas in East or Southeast Asia, the Freeman-ASIA (Freeman Awards for Study in Asia) helps to increase the number of Americans with first-hand exposure to—and understanding of—the people and cultures of Asia. If you plan to apply, please make an appointment with a UCR Education Abroad Advisor to discuss this scholarship opportunity, (951) 827-4113.
  • Fulbright Scholarship - Formed in 1946, the Fulbright Program is the flagship international educational exchange program sponsored by the U.S. government. Since its beginning, the Fulbright Program has helped nearly 300,000 participants to study, teach and conduct research abroad. If you have any further questions, please contact a Fulbright Advisor: Gladis Herrera-Berkowitz, 827-1010.
  • Fund for Education Abroad - For U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the U.S. (as of May 2015, applications from DACA students are welcome). Students must be currently enrolled as undergraduates at a college or university in the U.S. The study abroad program must be eligible for credit at the student’s educational institution and must include at least four (4) weeks (30 days) in country/countries. The deadline is typically mid-January.
  • Gilman Scholarship - Targeting U.S. undergraduates receiving Federal Pell Grant funding, the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program helps students of limited financial means to study in non-traditional study abroad destinations.
  • Hostelling International-USA (HI-USA) "Explore The World" Travel Scholarships - "At HI USA, we think travel should be as much about making a difference in the world as it is about seeing it. That’s why we’ve created Explore the World Travel Scholarships. Recipients receive $2,000 to help finance their international trip that includes an educational or service component."
  • Steven Mandeville-Gamble Scholarship - This scholarship is to support Anthropology students participating on the UC Education Abroad Program (UCEAP), Opportunities Abroad Program (OAP) and Faculty Led Education Abroad Program (FLEAP). Please submit complete application to Skye Hall 321.
  • UCR Study Abroad Programs Scholarship - This scholarship is to support students participating on the UC Education Abroad Program (UCEAP) and Opportunities Abroad Program (OAP). Note: Not applicable to FLEAP. Please submit complete application to Skye Hall 321.
  • UC Riverside Foundation Scholarships, Fellowships & Awards - This index of on-campus scholarship funds is designed to make it easier for you to find the perfect scholarship to help you further your educational career. Start your search by visiting and selecting the group that best describes you. You will then be taken to an index of the available scholarships. In addition, UCR maintains a list of regional and national scholarships that are sent to us from outside agencies. To view this list, please visit
  • Undergraduate Research Mini-Grants - UCR students whose study abroad program fits into a larger undergraduate research project can apply for an Undergraduate Research Mini-Grant for the summer quarter. Awards can be up to $1000 (see for more details). 
  • OTHER Education Abroad Funding Resources

More Information 

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

Contact Information

Education Abroad
0321 Surge Building

Tel: (951) 827-4113