University of California, Riverside

UCR Study Abroad -- Health

Emergency Procedures

In Case Of An Emergency

The Study Abroad Office monitors information relevant to the safety of all students abroad and international students at UCR, from official sources as well as domestic and international partners and colleagues. In addition to other sources of evidence of potential risk to students, primary consideration is given to Travel Warnings and Travel Alerts issued by the U.S. Department of State. Additionally, the U.S. State Departments issues information on International Travel Safety for Students Abroad.

In addition to looking to State Department travel advisories for guidance, the EAP and OAP Office consults regularly with the UC Education Abroad Program Systemwide Office and various study abroad organizations in which our students participate.

UC EAP Updated worldwide alerts

UC Education Abroad Program (UCEAP)

Emergency Contact Number: 805-893-4762

  • If seriously injured or sick, get medical treatment at the closest medical facility and contact the local UCEAP representative.
  •  If medical service is not available, call Europ Assistance collect 202-828-5896 or call the UCEAP 24-hour emergency number above.

UCR Faculty Led Education Abroad Program (FLEAP)

Summer education abroad faculty and teaching assistants are the first line of emergency support for students. For medical referrals, evacuation, or other services, students should report to them immediately, then call the UnitedHealthcare Global Travel Assistance Program:

  • USA and Canada 1-800-527-0218
  • Outside the USA, Call Collect 1-410-453-6330

For complete information on emergency procedures, please check out our Emergency handbook: TBA.

Other UC and Non-UC Programs

Depending on the circumstances do one of the following:

  • Contact local emergency services
  • Contact Education Abroad in-country supports staff immediately
  • Notify the Education Abroad Office

UCR’s Travel Warning Policy

While UCR encourages students to participate in educational opportunities throughout the world, we do not endorse participation in areas with recognized regional dangers or instabilities as determined by the U.S. State Department. .

More Information 

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

Contact Information

Education Abroad
0321 Surge Building

Tel: (951) 827-4113