University of California, Riverside

UCR Study Abroad - Other UC & Non-UC Programs

Frequently Asked Questions

FAQ Banner

  • Prospective Students

Can I study abroad if I’m close to graduating?

Yes. Seniors are often able to study abroad as well, even in their last semester.

How much does it cost to study abroad for a quarter?

Contact the Other Program Providers to find out about costs.

Is there a study center abroad that offers classes in my major?

Contact your Other Program Provider or see their website for additional information.

I’m having problems accessing MyUCR Abroad. Whom should I contact?

Send an email to LaSharon regarding you MyUCR Abroad access issue. Put “Accessing MyUCR Abroad” in the subject heading.

Once I submit my application, when will I hear if I’ve been selected?

Please contact your Other Program Provider to access this information.

Do I need to bring anything with me to the application workshop?

Bring items that will allow you to take notes, i.e., pen, note pad, laptop, or tablet.

Also, have the following pieces of information ready when attending the Other Program Application Workshop.

  • Other Program Organization Name
  • Other Program Program and Location
  • Other Program tentative Start & End Dates
  • University or Institution that will issue your transcripts
Why should I study abroad?
  1. Broaden your horizons. When you actually live in another country, you see what tourists don’t. You experience hobbies, foods and ways of socializing that shape a culture. You have the chance to become part of that country and become more flexible to new environments when faced with change.
  2. See America from a different perspective. Being immersed in America can give us a limited viewpoint. But when you live in a different country, it creates a space that allows you to see how America affects and fits into the global landscape. This becomes an important quality when you return to the U.S. and make choices in our democracy.
  3. Explore your heritage. Studying or working in the country of your heritage can put you in touch with your ethnicity, helping you to understand why you like certain foods, celebrate family traditions and honor your ancestors in a specific way.
  4. Really learn a language. By immersing yourself in another country, you can become fluent in a language in ways you will miss by taking a class. For starters, you’ll hear people talking in the native language wherever you go—in restaurants, at stores, on the radio and on TV.
  5. Become more marketable. In today’s global economy, job applicants with international experience and knowledge of multiple languages are in demand.
  6. Build an international network. When you study or work abroad, you’ll make new friends whom you may know for the rest of your life. Even after coming back to America, you’ll have someone to visit when you see Beijing, or Sao Paolo or Senegal. Plus, you can keep in touch with your international friends as you enter the workforce and build your business network.
  7. Dispel stereotypes about Americans. Because of the popularity of American media, people in your host country may have views about Americans that aren’t true. When they get to know you, they’ll see another side of what they thought they knew.

When are the deadlines to apply?

Check with your host institution for their deadlines.

What’s the first step I should take to study abroad?
  • Go to MyUCR Abroad. You will need to select Guest Account for login.
  • Complete a Student Profile Questionnaire
  • Sign up for an Information Session. Attend the session to get a better idea of whether you want to go on UCEAP or one of the other UC and non-UC programs.

Whom can I speak with further if I have questions?

If the dates listed for the Information Session or Application Workshop don’t work for you, call the EA office at 951-827-4113 to schedule an appointment with an advisor.

Am I able to get course credit?

In many cases, yes, you may be able to either earn UC credit or receive transfer credit. Ask your academic advisor to help you choose coursework that fits into your major or minor.  Other Program participants can receive transfer credit.


Are there programs specifically for my major?

Whether you’re in engineering, chemistry, math, language or theatre, study abroad offers opportunities for you! Look for programs in your major.

I attended an information session last year. Do I have to do another one this year?

Maybe!  We will need to confirm that you have attended an information session last year. If you can answer these questions, you may not have to attend (these are just ideas)

  • Does the program offer the courses you need? Do you know where to find the courses online?
  • Do you receive financial aid, are you willing to take out sufficient student and parental loans if your program is more than the cost of UCR
  • What are the eligibility requirements? Are you eligible for the program?
  • Financial Aid

Can I still get financial aid if I study abroad?

Yes, you can get financial aid to your study abroad if you earn academic credits or units on your program.  If you go on one of the other UC or non-UC programs, you don’t pay UC fees but you can still use federal and state financial aid as determined by the FAFSA. You may not use UCR grants or scholarships to finance your program but you can apply for other grants and scholarships in your major. If available, you may be able to receive aid from your other UC or non-UC program provider. But you may not receive aid through both UCR and your other UC or non-UC program provider at the same time.

If you’re currently using a Cal, Pell or Academic Competitiveness Grant, you may use them for your study abroad program. Talk to your study abroad advisor about this. Learn more at Financial Aid.

What scholarships are available for studying abroad?

There are a few scholarships that help American students study abroad while catering to specific areas of study and locations. See our list of scholarships.

What forms are required in order to receive financial aid on the Other Programs?

You will need to complete the Individual Consortium/Contractual Agreement, UCR Financial Aid Verification, Other Program Participant Agreement, Academic Planning Form, and read and sign the Financial Aid Letter. All of these forms will be give during the Other UC & Non-UC Program Application Workshop.

I am going on an Other Program. I’ve accepted my financial aid on GROWL but it shows I have a hold. What do I do?

You may see a “Hold” comment on RWeb notifying you that your financial aid disbursement is on hold because you are not enrolled.  Enrollment is a requirement for financial aid disbursement, so this comment automatically displays to all students who are not registered for classes at UCR.  Since you will not be enrolled in UCR units, you may disregard this message, as you study abroad advisor will submit paperwork to confirm your enrollment status abroad.  Read through all your messages regarding a “Hold” as they may not relate to financial aid and your study abroad experience.

When will my financial aid be disbursed?

Whether you are on UCEAP or an other UC or non-UC program, financial aid is disbursed 10 days prior to the start date of your study abroad program. If you are doing an other UC or non-UC summer program that starts prior to July 1st, your aid will be disbursed on or after July 1st, since summer falls under the next fiscal year which begins July 1st.

  • Selected/Pre-Departure Students

What meetings do I have to attend before I depart? When are they?
  • Information Session to get a better idea of the Other Programs.
  • Application Workshop to learn the ins and outs of how to apply for a program abroad.
  • Other mandatory meetings, which you’ll learn about in the EA workshops. You must attend any meeting that’s considered mandatory or you risk losing your chance to study abroad in your desired program.
Do I need to take a leave of absence from UCR to go abroad?

You are an enrolled UCR student while on an UCEAP program. If you are doing an other UC or non-UC program during the normal academic calendar you will file the Planned Opportunities Abroad Agreement Form, which allows you to take a leave to study abroad but maintains your student status at UCR.

What do I do if my UCEAP course registration is not listed on RWeb?

While abroad on UCEAP the Registrars will have a placeholder for the classes you enroll in abroad. These will be generic units until your grades are posted at the end of your program.

What kind of holds will impact my UCEAP registration?

The following holds may affect your UCEAP registration:


  • Library
  • Parking Housing
  • Campus Health
  • Financial Aid


  • Class scheduling
  • Quarterly advising
Can I do my health clearance with my personal doctor? What about the immunizations?

You can get your vaccines from your primary care physician as long as they meet the standards outlined by the travel nurse. Follow the first step of the above checklist to make an appointment for a health screening with a UCR travel nurse and give you a Health Clearance form to take to your doctor. Bring the signed form when you meet with the Campus Health Center physician.

  • Returnees

When will my grades be posted in GRWeb?

It may take you to 90 days for grades to post on RWeb. If your grades have not posted after 90 days, send an email to LaSharon McLean Perez, so that she can make a grade inquiry.

I’m a student in one of the other UC or non-UC programs. When do I need to request my transcript and where do I send it once I have it?

Right after your program ends, ask your other UC or non-UC program provider to send your transcripts to UC Riverside, Admissions Office, Attn: Study Abroad, 900 University Avenue, Riverside, CA 92521.

I’m not able to register for courses next quarter. What do I do?

Whether you are on UCEAP or an other UC & non-UC program, if you cannot register for classes for the term you are returning to UCR, email your study abroad advisor so that they can make an inquiry with the Registrars’ Office.

How do I get reimbursed for medical fees I incurred while abroad?

You will need to submit a claim to the insurance provider. As claims may vary, we are unable to give accurate information regarding reimbursement. However, most insurance companies have a “check your claim status” feature on their website once you have submitted a claim.

How can I stay involved with study abroad at UCR?

As a returnee from a study abroad program, we hope you are willing to share your perspective with students who are interested in going abroad. Here are ways you can do that:

  • Global Opportunities Abroad Leader (GOAL). Did you recently return from studying, teaching, interning or volunteering abroad? Did you love your experience so much that you want to help others to do the same? Become a Global Opportunities Abroad Leader (GOAL). Help UCR students experience cultural enrichment and at the same time, enhance your leadership skills. As a GOAL, you can conduct Information Sessions and Application Workshops, design posters and flyers, work at the Worldfest Study Abroad Fair, and more.
  • Volunteer at WorldFest Study Abroad Fair.

More Information 

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

Contact Information

Education Abroad
0321 Surge Building

Tel: (951) 827-4113