University of California, Riverside

UCR Study Abroad -- Resources

Passport and Visa

  • Applying for a U.S. Passport

Who needs a U.S. passport?

  • Anyone leaving the U.S. for travel, work or study.

Who applies in person?

  • First-time passport owners
  • Previous passport owners whose passports were lost, stolen or damaged
  • Previous passport owners whose passports are more than 15 years old

Who can renew by mail?

  • Passport owners whose passports are undamaged and can be submitted with their applications.
  • Previous passport owners whose passports were issued when they were 16 years or older.
  • Previous passport owners whose passports were issued within the last 15 years.
  • Previous passport owners whose passports were issued in their current name or if they legally document a name change.

How do I get an application?

  • Get the U.S. passport application, Form DS-11, online through the U.S. Department of State.
  • Get a printed copy at a U.S. post office.

What do I need to bring when I apply?

  • Your application, which you must complete in blue or black ink only! Do not sign it. You will do this when you meet with the passport agent.
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship, such as a birth certificate with the registrar’s seal, a previous U.S. passport or naturalization papers.
  • Proof of identity, such as a driver’s license, naturalization papers, a previous passport, a social security card or any other identification that shows your photograph or signature.
  • Two identical 2” x 2” color photos taken within the last sixth months. These photos will have a white background and a clear facial shot. Do not get your picture taking in a photo booth or don’t have someone take it for you! Get your photo taken at one of the providers listed below:

Moreno Valley Main Post Office

23580 Alessandro Boulevard, Moreno Valley, CA 92553‐9998

951-656-9720 | Mon‐Sat, 10 a.m.‐3 p.m. | Photos: $15 for 2.

Walgreens (Photo Department)

6600 Magnolia Avenue, Riverside, CA 92506

951-786-9243 | Open seven days a week, 9 a.m.‐12 p.m.

How much does it cost to apply?

For applicants 16 and older:


For applicants under 15:


Application Fee:


Application Fee:



Execution Fee:


Execution Fee:









How do I pay?

Pay all fees when you apply.

  • Application Fee:
    • Credit Cards (VISA, MasterCard, American Express, Discover) and Debit/Check Cards
    • Checks (personal, certified, cashiers, travelers), payable to “Department of State”
    • Money orders (U.S. Postal, international, currency exchanges) and bank drafts, payable to “Department of State”
  • Execution Fee:

This goes directly to the passport agency. If you’re writing a check or money order, make it payable to their office.

What if I need my passport in a hurry?

For $60 more plus overnight shipping costs, you can apply for expedited service.

When should I apply?

  • Apply early to avoid the rush!
  • Give yourself three to six months before you depart. Processing generally takes four to six weeks, so plan ahead! Some countries now require a valid passport when you apply for an Education Abroad Program!

Where can I pay?

County Clerk & Recorders Office

2720 Gateway Drive

Riverside, CA 92507


Mon‐Thurs, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.


Riverside City Clerk’s Office

Public Utilities Customer Resource Center

3025 Madison Street

Riverside, CA 92504


Mon‐Fri 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.

Photos: $9 for 2


Riverside Main Post Office

4150 Chicago Avenue

Riverside, CA 92507‐9998


Mon‐Fri, 10 a.m.‐2 p.m.

Photos: $15 for 2

AAA (Automobile Club of Southern California)

3700 Central Avenue

Riverside, CA 92506


Mon‐Fri, 9 a.m.‐5 p.m., Sat. 10 a.m.‐2 p.m.

Riverside Downtown Station Post Office

3890 Orange Street

Riverside, CA 92501


Mon‐Fri, 9 a.m.‐1 p.m. and 2‐3 p.m.

By appointment only.


More Information

  • Applying for a Visa

Visa requirements to enter your host country will vary. Check here to find the information you need. Give yourself plenty of time to complete this process!

More Information 

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

Contact Information

Education Abroad
0321 Surge Building

Tel: (951) 827-4113