We hope you are enjoying yourself!
Please keep in mind your safety, priorities, and responsibilities while abroad. Check this page for updates and announcements that may affect you.
Questions? We’re here for you. Please reach out: firstname.lastname@example.org
What to Do When You Arrive
- Call home! Let everyone know that you arrived and are okay.
- Find a bank ATM at the airport and withdraw cash to pay for goods and services.
- Check in with the Study Center or International Office at your host university. Introduce yourself and find out about orientation, any host university recommendations, and anything else you need to know.
- Introduce yourself to your lecturers. Let them know you are from overseas, find out about assessments, exams, and anything else that may affect your studies.
- Find your closest U.S. embassy.
- Be aware of culture shock. It is not unusual to feel tired, anxious, or apprehensive when you are in a new place. Talk to your new friends, call home, or write to us!
- Be safety conscious, especially in the first few weeks as you get used to your new environment and culture.
Throughout Your Stay
- Keep in touch.
- Make sure we have your overseas contact information.
- Check R’Mail regularly. This will be the official way that UCR corresponds with you.
- Keep in touch with your family. We will pass information along to worried friends and parents if you let us, but we know they prefer to hear from you.
- Verify enrollment. Complete and send us your Enrollment Verification.
- Complete Academic Add/Drop Form (if applicable). If you change your courses while abroad, please submit the Add/Drop Form to have the courses approved.
- Save your class documentation, especially for Opportunities Abroad Programs (OAP) and UC Education Abroad Programs (UCEAP). Keep all records from your classes, including emails, letters, notes, syllabi, and tests. If you have academic questions while you are abroad, contact your UCR advisor or academic department for help.
Before You Come Home
- Get your transcripts. Ask the other UC or non-UC program provider to send your transcripts to UC Riverside, Admissions Office, Attn: OAP, 900 University Avenue, Riverside, CA 92521.
- Register for classes at UCR. You can still do this using R’Web.