The International Students and Scholars office and Education Abroad office are in their new location in the Student Services Building, 2nd Floor.

Photo of Santorini, Greece at sunset

Get Ready to Travel


Congratulations on being accepted to an education abroad program! The next couple of months will be an exciting and active time as you get ready to travel.

Please read the section below. The resources and instructions listed are important ways for you to prepare for your time abroad. 

Questions? We’re here for you! Please reach out.

By Email:

By Phone:
(951) 827-4113

By Mail or In Person:

UCR Education Abroad
900 University Avenue 
Skye Hall, Room 321
Riverside, CA  92521

  • Orientation and Workshops

    Attend all mandatory meetings and orientation sessions. The schedule is posted on MyUCR Abroad (the online portal used for your UCR Education Abroad application). 

  • Passports

    Please visit the U.S. Department of State website for information on how to obtain a U.S. passport.


    Important Note on the "X" Gender Passport Option: 
    On April 11, 2022, the United States joined a growing list of countries that allow for a third gender option (“X”) in passports. Because most countries continue to offer only binary options for identifying sex and the "X" gender option remains unknown to many border control agents and passport screeners, students traveling with an "X" gender option on their passport may encounter issues if their host country does not recognize this option. If you plan to travel with an "X" gender option on your passport, please contact our office so we can advise on next steps based on your host country's recognition of this option and provide other resources such as the U.S. Department of State’s travel guidance for members of the LGBTQIA+ community.

  • Visa

    Depending on where you are traveling, you may need a visa. This includes any countries you may be traveling to other than your primary destination. Find out more online by visiting location-specific government websites.

  • International Student Identity Card (ISIC) and ISIC Basic Insurance

    The International Student Identity Card (ISIC) is the only globally recognized proof of student status. With the endorsement of UNESCO, a 70-year presence in over 100 countries, and 40 million members, ISIC offers students official proof of identity along with comprehensive benefits. An ISIC membership provides access to incredible travel, food, drink, and cultural benefits, allowing students to explore more, embrace local culture, and make their experiences even more enriching.

    Please visit the ISIC website for more information on the benefits and travel coverage options an ISIC membership provides!

    Get your ISIC membership here!

    Although students will be enrolled in either the University of California’s Travel Insurance Coverage, UCEAP Insurance, or a non-UC program insurance plan, we recommend that students check with their personal health care provider to confirm that their coverage extends beyond U.S. borders during the time that they will be traveling.

    In addition to your program insurance plan, students who purchase the ISIC card may have ISIC Basic Insurance Coverage.

    The ISIC card MUST BE ACTIVATED in order to access its benefits. 

    Your policy will govern the final interpretation of any provision or claim. It is important that you read your policy carefully.

    Visit the ISIC website for more information.

Let us help you with your search