The International Students and Scholars office and Education Abroad office are in their new location in the Student Services Building, 2nd Floor.

Aerial Picture of UCR campus

Prospective International Scholars

Prospective Visiting Scholars and Researchers

You must be invited by an academic department or lab that will serve as your host. To learn about potential hosting opportunities, please directly contact the principal investigator (PI) you would like to work with through their department website.

If you are extending an invitation with an academic department at UCR, you may begin the application process.


J-1 Visa Categories

Your J-1 category must coincide with your intended purpose at UCR. The links below offer more information about typical J-1 categories at UCR.

  • Research Scholar
  • Short-term Scholar
  • Professor
  • Student Non-degree
  • Student Intern
  • Physician*

*Sponsorship is provided by ECFMG; for more information, please visit the ECFMG website.



Application Process

Your first step is to contact your potential sponsor/PI (primary investigator) through their UCR department website.



J Program Service Fees

Below are examples of fees that J-1 Scholars (or their hosting departments) are required to pay.

J-1 Visa (without salary):

Initial/Transfer $863
Short-term $863
J-1 Student Intern/Non-Degree $863
J-2 Dependent Forms – After Initial J $86

There are additional fees associated with multiple-year appointments and administrative processing. For more detailed information, please contact Makbule Koksal by phone (951-827-4113) or email.


Let us help you with your search